iODBC stands for Independent Open Database Connectivity. Commonly considered to be specific to Linux or UNIX platforms, iODBC is a truly platform-independent Open Source implementation of ODBC.
The iODBC effort is managed via the iODBC project, http://www.iodbc.org/, which is maintained and supported by Openlink Software.
iODBC and ODBC are 100% compatible. Thus, migration of ODBC-compliant applications and drivers across platforms does not require wholesale rewrites.
The iODBC SDKs for the Mac provide support for Cocoa, Carbon, and Darwin development. Like ODBC on the Windows platform, iODBC comprises the following:
- ODBC Drivers -- Simply, Drivers that implement the ODBC API.
- iODBC Driver Manager -- The Driver Manager is implemented as a Framework under Mac OS X; and a Shared Library under Darwin, Linux, UNIX and OpenVMS.
- iODBC Administrator -- iODBC provides the native GUI-based iODBC Administrator for Mac OS X. The HTTP-based OpenLink ODBC Administrator is also available for all iODBC-supported client platforms except the Classic Mac OS.
- iODBC SDK -- Used by developers for the development of ODBC-compliant database applications and drivers, the iODBC SDK includes all necessary Header Files and Shared and Static Link Libraries, as well as the library sources.
What is new in this release:
- Fixed issue with
~/Library/ODBC/odbc[inst].inion Mac OS X
- Added build support for Yosemite (OS X 10.10)
- Updated iODBC Administrator
- Updated iODBC Demo
- Fixed string truncation in Unicode <-> ANSI conversion on some API calls
- The iODBC graphical Administrator component for Mac OS X (Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard) is now released as open-source.
- The iODBC CFM Bridge for Mac OS X is also released as open-source, facilitating connections from Microsoft Office (Excel/Query).
- Additionally, windows in the GTK-based administrator are now resizeable alongside other minor bug-fixes.
- Mac OS X -- precompiled for 10.3.9 and later; can be locally built for 10.1.5 and later
- 10.3.9-10.4.x download is here
- Xcode Tools, CodeWarrior, or similar development environment
What is new in version 03.52.0709.0909 [3.52.7]: