CoolTerm is a simple serial port terminal application (no terminal emulation) that is geared towards hobbyists and professionals with a need to exchange data with hardware connected to serial ports such as servo controllers, robotic kits, GPS receivers, microcontrollers.
What is new in this release:
- Added configuration option for software supported flow control.
- Added configuration option for blocking keystrokes while transmit data flow is halted.
- Added printing for plain text and hex views.
- Added proxy settings to preferences (for update check).
- Changed preferences window to multi-tab concept.
- Made formatting of captured hex data configurable.
- It is now possible to use the 'Wait for termination string' option when capturing in hex format as long as formatting of hex data is disabled.
- Added "Packet Delay" option, which allows inserting a delay after the transmission of each packet, the size of which can now be specified via the connection settings GUI.
- The "Line Delay" option now supports matching all of the specified delay characters in addition to matching any of them. This allows for entire strings to be specified as line delay characters.
What is new in version 1.4.7:
- Added option to specify a custom file name for auto capture files when "Append to auto capture file" is enabled.
- CoolTerm will now save default settings to the application data directory, regardless of where CoolTerm is installed.
What is new in version 1.4.6:
- Added the option to automatically start file capture upon loading connection settings.
- Added option to append new data to auto capture files.
- Added option to filter ANSI escape sequences. If this option is enabled, ANSI sequence characters will be filtered in ASCII view mode.
- Added preference option to enable condensing the line spaces in plain text view mode (not available in Universal Binary builds).
- [Win][Linux] Added code to ensure that only one instance of CoolTerm is running on the system at the same time
- Added code to ensure that a connection settings file can only be opened once.
- Added preference option to show or hide the toolbar.
- Added UTF-8 support for plain text view.
- Updated preferences dialog to display extended character set.
- [Win] Added support for AltGr key combinations on certain international keyboards.
- Added shortcut (Mac: CMD-I, Win/Linux: CTRL-I) to Connection/Options... menu.
- Changed relative timestamp format from HH:MM:SS:sss to HH:MM:SS.sss to be consistent with established timestamp conventions.
What is new in version 1.4.5:
- Added new option to handle End Of Text (EOT, ASCII code 4) characters. Enabling this feature will prevent the display from updating until a EOT character is received, at which time the display is updated with the contents from the receive buffer.
- Added code to present the user with the option to select a serial port if a loaded settings file includes an empty string for the port name. This allows the creation of generic settings files.
Bug fixes and stability improvements:
- Code improvement to avoid ThreadAccessingUIException
What is new in version 1.4.4:
- Added feature that shows the path to the current capture file (if a capture is currently active) when the mouse is hovered over the serial port status label at the bottom left of the CoolTerm window.
- changed Enter key emulation settings to use popup menu and added the option use a custom sequence to emulate the enter key.
- Added additional font sizes to preferences dialog.
- Added option to reduce the terminal refresh rate to once per second in order to reduce the CPU load on systems where power consumption is critical.
- Added text the the built in help to explain that reducing the size of the receive buffer can be used to reduce CPU power consumption.
- [MAC] Compiling for Cocoa from now on.
- [MAC] Added basic retina support.
- CoolTerm now properly remembers the last used folders (individually) for opening connection settings, capturing to text files, as well as sending text files.
- Added DEL character (ASCII 127) to the routine that handles BS characters in ASCII view.
- optimized code to reduce CPU load while sending text files.
- stability improvement to the code of the circular receive buffer.
BUG FIXES AND STABILITY IMRPOVEMENTS
- fixed code that could cause extended ASCII characters to sometimes be incorrectly translated from hexadecimal format to plain text.