FET (Free Timetabling Software) is an open source application that provides high-schools and universities with a mature and comprehensive timetabling application that runs on Linux, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Features at a glance
The application generates algorithms automatically, it allows users to import from and export to the CSV format, and features a flexible and modular XML format for saving timetables. In addition, it includes a very flexible students structure arranged in groups, subgroups and years.
With FET, users will be able to view the currently generated timetable. While the resulted timetables are automatically exported to the HTML and XML formats, it is also possible to consider a weight (percentage) for each constraint.
Modern and easy to use graphical user interface
Its user interface is modest and allows users to create a new timetable or open a previously saved project saved in the modular XML format mentioned above. You can insert detailed information about the institution, teachers, students, subjects, activities, individual subactivities, activity tags, rooms, and buildings.
Time constraints can be added only for teachers, students, break periods, as well as for a set of activities or subactivities, or a single activity. Furthermore, space constraints can be added for preferred rooms, subjects, students, teachers, and a set of activities.
The timetable can then be generated only for teachers, students, rooms, a mix of them, as well as for all. It is also important to mention that the timetable algorithm has some limitations, such as 30000 activities, 6000 rooms and buildings, 30000 students, 6000 teachers, 35 working days per week, and 60 periods per day.
Lastly, we should mention that the project is translated into multiple languages, including Romanian, English, German, Arabic, Italian, Slovak, Danish, Greek, Turkish, Hebrew, Albanian, Serbian, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Brazilian Portuguese, Hungarian, and many others.
Summing up, FET is a great application for automatic scheduling of timetables in educational institutions. It is a fast, efficient and unique application that supports multiple operating systems and hardware platforms.
What is new in this release:
- Fixed two compilation errors under the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler (reported by Volker Dirr). Now FET can be compiled with this compiler.
- The Help->About dialog of FET is now easily translatable into other languages (suggested by rodolforg, Innocent De Marchi, and other users).
- Minor string bug fixed (reported by Vangelis Karafillidis).
- Updated the Greek translation, by Vangelis Karafillidis.
- Added a new example file from Brazil, by francescotorres.
What is new in version :
- Minor improvements.
What is new in version 5.26.2:
- Updated to Qt 5.4.1.
- Crash bug fix when generating with zero students sets (introduced in FET-5.26.0).
- Added a partial Chinese Traditional (zh_TW) translation, by James.
- Updated the German translation, by Bob Hairgrove.
What is new in version 5.23.4:
- Added a partial Chinese Simplified (zh_CN) translation, by orange.
- Added two example files from Vietnam, by Nguyen Huu Tuyen.
What is new in version 5.23.3:
- Updated to Qt 5.3.2.
- Added a fet.desktop file (by Alexey Loginov).
- Fixed some comments concerning the GNU GPL license (reported by Alexey Loginov).
- Added a "make install" option (suggested by Alexey Loginov and other users, done by Zsolt Udvari and Liviu Lalescu).
- Added an icon (suggested by Alexey Loginov and other users).
- Added an option at compilation time so that FET automatically detects the system locale (suggested by Alexey Loginov and other users).
What is new in version 5.22.0:
- Updated to Qt 5.3.0.
- Many improvements on memory and speed in pre-generating and after-generating.
- Corrected a crash bug under Windows (for extremely large files).
- Now you can unlock all activities or activities of a single day without generating the timetable (suggested by Volker Dirr).
- Increased the maximum number of divisions in the first and second categories when dividing a year (suggested by Bobby Wise).
- Added a new Morocco example file, by Mohamed Bahaj.
What is new in version 5.21.1:
- Updated the sources to Qt 5.2.1 (but the precompiled Windows version still uses Qt 4.8.5, because of various problems).
- Added an Albanian translation, by Artur Lugu.
- Minor interface improvements.
What is new in version 5.21.0:
- Updated the sources to Qt 5.2.0 (but the precompiled Windows version still uses Qt 4.8.5, because of various problems).
- Added print of advanced statistics directly from FET, suggested by Bobby Wise and implemented by Volker Dirr.
- Added an option to duplicate vertical names in the timetables, to the right of the tables (suggested by Pietro, implemented by Volker Dirr).
- Updated the Brazilian Portuguese translation, by Cloves das Neves.
- Added two example files from Brazil, by Werner Bruns.
- Added another sample file from Argentina, by pedrobordon.
What is new in version 5.20.2:
- Added an option to disable printing of the activity tags in the HTML generated timetables (suggested by drew and other users).
- Memory consumption improvement when writing advanced statistics to the hard disk.
- Dropped the debug console messages (potential bug reported by MarioMic, because under some GNU/Linux distributions these might fill the hard disk). However, the command line version can be made verbose by the option --verbose=true.
- The multiple generation outputs an overall report (suggested by MarioMic).
- Minor improvements and source cleanup.
What is new in version 5.20.0:
- Added constraint activities same room if consecutive (suggested by agemagician).
- Added constraints students (set) max days per week (suggested by more users).
- Bug fix in constraint activities occupy max different rooms (not noticeable).
- Added a new sample file, by rapsy.
What is new in version 5.19.2:
- Minor bugs corrected (formatting in the HTML timetables), by Volker Dirr.
- Corrected some minor string problems.
- Updated the Romanian translation (by Liviu Lalescu). It is now complete.
What is new in version 5.18.2:
- Minor interface improvements.
- Updated the French translation, by Regis Bouguin.
- Added a new sample file, by Daniel.