GEDitCOM II is a rewritten version of GEDitCOM using Apple's Cocoa environment. It will greatly exceed user-interface features of GEDitCOM. It will retain the philosophy of GEDitCOM to be a customizable genealogy application for editing and viewing GEDCOM genealogy files. Users of GEDitCOM, should find GEDitCOM II easy to use.
What is new in this release:
- This update fixes issues found in High Sierra included updating code to eliminate all "deprecated" methods (which was challenging process due to rather sparse state of current Apple developer documentation).
- High Sierra broke web views used to display maps. They have been rewritten and are now working again. In addition, you now have a choice of displaying maps using Google Maps or OpenLayers (a public domain mapping service).
What is new in version 2.3:
- This update fixes issues found in El Capitan and Sierra. Note that version 2.2 was posted as prerelease only; this version is office release of those prereleases.
- With each new version of MacOS, Apple breaks (and I think deliberately), the method to check that applications are from recognized developers. These version should no longer give a warning that reviewer cannot be identified.
- All iPhoto interaction features and the "Media Browser" have been removed. The main reason is the Apple deleted iPhoto, replaced it with Photos, but applicaiton cannot interact with Photos (thanks Apple).
- GEDCOM key words in dates (such as ABT for "about", BET for "between") can be displayed in any case by setting date preferences, but should always be saved in GEDCOM standard as upper case. This version now saves in upper case. The display can still be any case you want.
- When exporting to a GEDCOM file, the header record in the file is automatically updated to version of GEDitCOM II that was used and the save file name is stored in a FILE tag.
- The extensions that have options to export a report to Pages (Ancestors Outline, Decendants Outline, and Descendants by Generations) have been updated to allow updates to Page 5 or newer (thanks to Nigel Garvey).
- Miscellaneous Bug Fixes:
- Tree window started crashing when closed in El Capitan - it is fixed.
- The "Find Field" in some attachment dialog boxes developed some unusual responses in El Captian. The user interface for the field is improved.
- El Capitan changed text trunctation mode to be very ugly. That mode has been removed to allow decent appearance again.
- "Send Tree Members to Album" could pick wrong album if album order was recently changed, but now fixed.
- GEDitCOM Editor recompiled to insure capatibility with El Capitan and Sierra.
What is new in version 2.1b2:
- Tested in 10.6 (now required) through Mavericks (10.9)
- Scripts and User Interfaces Formats are all redone as Extensions and Browser Styles. Extensions are more powerful, easier to install, delete, and download, and individually documented.
- The "Restore Resources" feature has a new option to do a clean update, which replaces the entire GEDitCOM II "System" folder with a clean copy. You should use this clean option the first time version 2.0 is run to replace all the old-style scripts with the new extensions.
- Family tree charts are now fully dynamic and have added numerous options to directly edit your data in the tree. Previous charts would update as you changed details on an individual, but did not update when individuals were deleted or added to family trees. Now all editing actions are reflected in all opened tree charts. The editing options are done by control clicking on cells or by dropping records on top of cells.
- The built-in Help content was extensively rewritten to focus each help topic on individual tasks (rather than very long topics) and to work better with Apple's help viewer (which now means it is searchable in the Help Viewer).
- The "Default Format" now shows portraits of individuals and families in the main pane of the browser window.
- Family tree charts now indicate unmarried couples with dotted lines instead of solid lines.
- There are now separate "Create Son" and "Daughter" buttons in the attach child dialog box.
- The many windows to select a record (e.g., to attach a child, a spouse, etc.) often let you select a record, type text to find a record, or type text and then create a new record. A common mistake is for users to type text for a new record, but then click 'OK' that tells GEDitCOM II to use the currently selected record instead of creating a new record. To avoid this problem, GEDitCOM II now warns you if text typed in the find field does not match the currently selected record.
- The search panel now reports the number of matches found at the top of the panel.
- The "Descendants by Generations" extension added an option to omit dates and places of living individuals and added easy customization to include extra events in the output.
- The "Descendants Outline" extension added an option to omit dates and places of living individuals.
- The "Assumed Century" and "Maximum Generations" preferences used to require a restart to become active. They now take affect immediately.
- The column hilighting in the index window could have been wrong after opening that same list in a panel and resorting in the panel. The column hilighting now remains consistent with all changes in sorting.
- The cells in relationship charts did not work for all styles of column labels, but now they do
- Many minor bug fixes and interface enhancements.
- GEDitCOM Editor Changes
- GEDitCOM Editor can now open and edit the new "Plug In" or "Extension" file format defined by GEDitCOM II, version 2.0.
- The built-in Help content was extensively rewritten to work better with Apple's help viewer (which now means it is searchable in the Help Viewer).
- All help on writing scripts (i.e., programming details), was moved from GEDitCOM II help to the GEDitCOM Editor help instead.