cptutils is an open source and completely free command-line software implemented in C and designed to provide users with a number of utilities for manipulating colour gradients on GNU/Linux or UNIX-like operating systems.
More than 15 utilities are includedThe package comes with more than 15 utilities to interact with the cpt (colour palette) file format. Among these, we can mention the avlcpt command for converting avl (ArcView Legend) files to cpt, the cptcss command for converting cpt files to fragment of CSS ones, as well as the cptgimp command for converting cpt files to GIMP gradient.
In addition, the cptinfo command for printing summary information on a cpt file, the cpttext command for colouring text according to a cpt file, the cptsvg command for converting cpt files to SVG gradient, and the gimplut command for converting GIMP gradient to binary lookup table (LUT).
The gimpcpt command for converting GIMP gradient to cpt, the pspcpt command for converting PaintShop Pro gradient to cpt, the svgx command for converting SVG gradient to other formats, the xycpt command for converting column data to cpt, and the cpthsv command for modifying RGB cpt gradient in HSV space are also included.
Getting started with cptutilsTo install and use the utilities included in the cptutils project, download the latest version of the program from Softoware, save it on your Home folder and unpack it. Open a Terminal app, move to the location of the extracted archive files (e.g; cd /home/softoware/cptutils-1.57) and run the ‘./configure && make’ command to configure and compile the tools.
Install them all by running the ‘sudo make install’ command. Each of the aforementioned commands include various command-line options, which can be viewed at a glance by adding the ‘--help’ option to the respective command in the terminal emulator window.
What is new in this release:
- This version fixes some bugs in the pssvg program.
What is new in version 1.49:
- This version includes a new program, pssvg, for converting Photoshop gradients to the SVG format.
What is new in version 1.48:
- This version sees a rewrite of the cpt parser to enable a wider range of cpt features (named colours, labels, and so on) to be handled.
What is new in version 1.47:
- This version includes a new program, cptcat, for concatenating multiple cpt files.
What is new in version 1.46:
- This version adds several minor bugfixes and a new --capabilites option for the gradient-convert program.
What is new in version 1.43:
- This version features improved documentation and minor code cleanup.
What is new in version 1.41:
- This version sees several improvements to the handling of alpha channels in gradients.
What is new in version 1.32:
- The pspcpt program now handles the midpoints of segments of the grd-format files correctly.